Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Bloody Job Interview

So, it was my ninth day as an unemployed. Unemployed was not quite awesome anymore at that point, so I decided to grabbed the chance to attend a job interview in a garment company called L in a very "remote" area called Majalengka. It normally took 3 hours from Bandung there by bus, but that day wasn't my lucky day,, It took me almost 4 and a half hours to got there as the bus driver was too overwhelmed with his cell phones. And that is why, he drove the bus with the speed of Gery the Snail. Mind you, in this magical country, driving, smoking and making calls at the same time is allowed. Can you believe that?

Ok, so, while I was cursing on the driver hair style, his stale cigarette smoke that choked me and also his annoying talking on his cellphone, I was wondering if it were my right decision.. Well, it turned out to be WRONG DECISIONNNN!!! There were actually tons of good reasons why I gave up this job. Firstly, it was all because i was treated so badly there. At that time, I literally had to wait for a whole day to be able to meet the GM for the interview. And regardless of my hungry stomach since I hadn't eaten or sipped anything from the seconds I arrived (12pm) until 7 pm, I felt like I was deceived. Yes, I was kind of tricked as on the prior notice it wasn't stated that I had to take any of exams but when I got there, I was asked to do some of exams without preparation. And more importantly, the environment was eerie..

Being there was so depressing to me.

Just look at the condition of the factory and people who worked there. Mostly, they were women. And even if the company explained that they were all 18+ years old, I just don't believe it. How could I believe? Most of them just looked younger than me. And the factory condition... it was just like a slaughterhouse. IT REALLY IS A SWEATSHOP!!


The worst part of all that job application process was the interview session. To me, that had been officially the most rude interview ever! How come? It was all because the unnecessary and hurtful comments that the employer made over my education background. From the very beginning I took English Literature as my college major, I knew it so well that there are people who would despise this major. And for that, I have been loaded myself with preparations for any cruel reality that I might face in the future. But I know that I will never be ready for this. At that day, the employer stated that English Literature should not be taken as a major in any colleges except we want to be a teacher. If someone wants to learn English. he can simply go to any of courses providing English lesson instead of learning for years in college. Ugh!! To repeat this in my writing alone is already burning my nerves!!  

Receiving such comment, I didn't blame them. But I was just pitying their narrow thought. I don't know what their concept about the subject of Literature, but to me, it is such a fascinating branch of study where I can learn many of great thoughts and see the beauty of the world in the form of written works of arts. Literature is more than learning words and alphabets and grammars, but it's bigger than that. Well, I do believe in the freedom of stating ideas, no matter how bad it will be sounded for someone, but pleasseee.. can someone think it thoroughly before they make misleading statements?

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have any ideas about the post above, please leave comment^^ I'd be very appreciative